Friday 18 July 2014

I'm Back :)

Well, would you believe, my mojo has finally returned! It's been a long time coming, but I knew it wouldn't desert me for good. I'm in a much better place these days, partly because of my creativity, but I needed to get back into my creative groove in order to get me out of a bad rut I'd fallen into, and getting my hands dirty whilst using my creative energy seemed like a good way, as it occupied my time and my mind. So here I am with a quick catch up of what I've been up to.

 I did an art course a couple of years back. I absolutely loved it! It was designed to make me face my fear of art, a fear that had its roots in a cruel act of ridicule my primary school teacher dished out in front of the whole class, about a piece of art I'd done. He was really cross because he said I'd wasted an old net curtain his wife had kindly donated to the craft supplies. I had been really chuffed with my bright yellow net curtain daffodil collage, but he said his 3 year old daughter could have done better. Why oh why do some people enter teaching?!! Anyway, his critique of my creativity completely killed my confidence, and I grew up with a fear of painting and drawing.

The art course was brilliant, it gave me a chance to experiment with lots of different media and techniques, and the tutor was so encouraging and had a cracking sense of humour.  The whole group had a blast!

But once the year long weekly course was over, I completely stopped. My mojo deserted me. I hadn't a clue what to do, what kind of art I wanted to pursue or what mediums I wanted to work with. My personal life was also pretty crap at this point, so my confidence was low, and I couldn't muster the enthusiasm to do anything remotely arty.

Then a couple of months back I started watching Youtube videos on art journaling and mixed media. I fell in love! I had found what I wanted to do, and as for which mediums to use... well, the world was my pallette!

I'm slowly building up my supply of materials as and when funds allow, and experimenting by making some basic homemade supplies. I think it helps my creativity and helps me to think outside of the box, utilising stuff I readily have around the house, and it gives me a buzz knowing I've saved money. I haven't development my own personal style... I reckon that's quite a way off yet. I'm just enjoying the process of learning for now, and I've joined a couple of online mixed media/journaling groups for inspiration and advice.

Here are some pieces I've recently completed:

 Mixed Media Tag

 Mixed Media Canvas

Mixed Media Polymer Clay

 Background Paper - oil pastels and ink

My art journal started out pretty basic, but as I've progressed I'm learning more about layers and textures and applying them to my art.

Journal Cover
Journal Pages







2 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work. It's colorful, fun and interesting. I can relate to bringing back your creativity and years of being halted because of things or people that bring you down, but learn to let it roll off and do art for yourself and you will see how great you are!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dione! It's reassuring to know it's happened to others too. Hopefully in future, using an art journal as a tool for working through my thoughts and feelings will speed up the process of dealing with, and moving on from negativity. It feels so freeing to be creative again. :) x

    ReplyDelete